Monday, March 7, 2011

Moti Girl Diary- Week one

Hola! Moti Girl here... So the madness called my life continues, with my kids' alternating sicknesses, looming midterms, all the upcoming events that keep my head spinning and the mountain of laundry hanging out in my living room to remind me what a wonderfully capable housewife I am.  As if all these things weren't enough, I have finally decided that I want to bid adieu to the fat that has comfortably taken residence all over my body.

inside my pantry
A few months back, I placed a bunch of note cards all over my pantry and refrigerator to help motivate me to be more conscious of what I was putting in my mouth.  Suffice to say, I just don't even see the signs anymore. For your viewing pleasure I have littered this post with these reminders so you can also laugh at my futile attempt.  :)

The Facts: 24 hour fitness loves club members like me who have been members since 2004 and have probably utilized their facilities about 10 times, over the span of the last 7 years.  I have an unhealthy obsession with eating, I love food and the fattier the better.  (Maybe not completely true, but I mean come on now, the good stuff always has all the bad stuff in it).  I will never have the svelte, super-bionic metabolism that my hubby is so blessed to possess.  I wish I could eat 10 meals a day and not gain a single pound.  I find working out in the gym mundane and rigid.  I have tried Zumba and I love it. But really who has the time to go an hour before the class starts to get a pass so that you can actually partake in the class?  LAME. I like being active and playing sports, but that to me doesn't feel like working out, it's fun and a total win-win! But who the hell has time to organize a soccer/basketball/softball game with friends with our crazy schedules on top of our crazy kids' schedules? Good lord. So right now gym is my only real option.


For the last 8 years and much to my utter dismay, my Mom and Dad have now affectionately been calling me "Moti". "How are you, Moti?", "Where are the kids, Moti?" and "Wapas, agaye, Moti?" (You're back, fatgirl?).  There is no malice or ill intent with their use of the word, it's just that I have gained some weight since I was last 23 years old, so why not point out the obvious?  Ironically, my younger sister Amina's nickname growing up was "Moti" because of her ravenous love for milk when she was a baby.  Cue the 'Moti Girl" song, my clever little brother Mishal substituted the words 'Macho, Macho Man' out of the Macho Man song with the words 'Moti Girl' and anytime Amina would annoy him, he would bust out with the Moti Girl song complete with a waddle-wiggle dance and puffed up cheeks.  Think the Stay Puft Marshmallow man from Ghostbusters trying to get his groove on.  That's what it looked like.  Anyways, now that mongrel (love you Mishoo) has transferred singing this lovely song to me. Yes I am that lucky!  Ok fine I will leave the realm of denial and admit that I have gained a lot of weight since my the years of my prime.







inside of my fridge
The Plan: I'm going to take my life back now!  I am going to use my blog as a means to motivate my ass to do something about it instead of expressing my incessant displeasure.  So the plan is to post a picture of my weight from my scale every Monday.  Yes, Fish if you are reading this, get ready to shit your pants because you will finally see how Moti I have become.  For the last 9 years of our marriage I have successfully been able to avoid exposing my weight to him.  Yes, of course I'm embarrassed. What woman wouldn't be? But, not anymore. You know what, it is what it is.  Hiding the number doesn't mean it's not true.  This will force me to FINALLY do something about it,  or be the laughingstock of the Internet, well, maybe just in the eyes of my 14 faithful followers.  (thank you guys :) btw)



Lose It App
So I begin by ridding myself of spanx forever (a little white lie, maybe not forever but it sure sounded good), being honest with myself about how much I weigh, setting a realistic goal of shedding 30 pounds by the end of summer, eating better foods and incorporating exercise to my weekly regimen.  I plan to use my Lose It app to help stay under 1200 calories a day.  Work out 3-4 times a week with my homegirl Amina (you still on board mkl?) and I should be able to lose 2 pounds per week. Realistically, I know I will have days that I just can't stay under my calorie count or I might want to give up altogether but I will definitely try my hardest and I believe this epiphany/blog posting will bring me success I crave.  I resume playing soccer in BAWSL this week, so hopefully that will allow me to stay on track.   I will record my progress every Monday and conclude each posting with a picture of my weight loss/gain on my scale.  Now if this doesn't work, well holy crap I'm not sure what will.  It's about the journey right?  Are you guys with me?  It is either I am incredibly brave or ridiculously stupid, either way the only thing I lose besides my dignity is my weight.  (I'm hoping at least)





Daym, OK so I have some work cut out for me but I am up for the challenge. Please feel free to comment and let me know what works best for you. I could use all the help I can get.  This is your Moti Girl signing out... xoxo
Monday 3.6.11 163.2 pounds



20 comments:

  1. REH!!! I'm so proud of you for making this big step!!!

    Honestly, I have all the confidence in the world for you! The Rehana I know is smart, determined and can accomplish anything she sets her mind to! I think it's so brave of you to put your weight up like that!! I'm on a little journey to loose 20lbs as well so I'm excited to see you by the end of the summer looking fllllllllllyyyyy! hahahaha. ;)

    <3 Best of luck Reh Reh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it!!! WOOHOOO! WOOHOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Joanna! Here's to us both reaching our goals and looking fly! Thanks your comment made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks lubo... let's hope it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you!! Grinning ear to ear for you. Sigh, you are incredible. OK, but moti girl, really? I know you'll kill the 30lbs, just in time for us to party with NKOTBSB. You are gorgeous inside and out, wish I could be more like you. 143

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no doubts you can do this, but does this mean less YUMMY recipes?!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  7. way to go!! you can do it!

    but i have to ask: 1200 calories?! with working out-- that's it? you're going to be hungry. here's how you figure out how many calories you should take in:

    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm

    and the livestrong.com has a ton of useful information on nutrition and health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Amo right back at you my friend. can't wait to hear about the motherland. OMG NKTOB are we really gonna do this? Woow hoo. 143 too. Moti girl just sounded too good to pass up.

    @shabana no no, this is in addition to the recipes. Just something to keep me on the right track. A new recipe will follow soon this week. :)

    @Doofy 1200 I know crazy right? I've did it five out of seven days week and yes I am have been starving! The days I work out I usually get an extra 500 calories to eat and can still stay under. It's doable, but not easy. I got the calorie info from the Lose it app. I'm gonna check out that link and livestrong now. Thanks love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Props to you for taking this on amongst the million other things you do (flawlessly, I might add)! And for what it's worth, I think you're beautiful inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you Az. Thanks for all your help. We really need to get together soon and peruse some yummy SF eateries. I would love to be one of your partners in crime! :) Hey people, please check out my friend Azmina's really fun food blog with THE most beautiful pics! www.lawyerloveslunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Azmina sent me to your blog--I am starting a similar-ish one but haven't gotten very far :) Happy to be supportive though!! Changing lifestyle habits is so hard to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. rehanzo...ur gonna do it and then we can celebrate by being nangi in new york together :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was very candid and well-written - what makes blogs interesting to read. Good job!
    Also, objectively, you are good-looking, and if I were a chick, I'd love to look like you.
    If you need anything, I'm always here to help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Tricia Welcome and thank you for the support! :) It is quite a challenge and I have to remind myself not to look at the scale everyday, hopefully the results will make it all worthwhile. Thank you and good luck to you to... I'll definitely check your blog out. Good luck to you!

    @Fati Um yeah.. but of course! Wouldn't want to celebrate any other way! :)

    @ausaff :) you are my sounding board and that is EXACTLY what I need. Thank you and good looking out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so proud of you for taking the initiative to do this! my new year's resolution for 2010 was to get fit and be healthy, and it turned out to be SO much more fun than I'd planned. I became a runner for the first time in my life and started yoga, which I'm not a huge fan of. So if you need any help, info, or a gym buddy, i'm here!
    PS. my nickname always was and still is MOTI! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so surprised that your nickname was Moti. I would love a gym partner. Let me get into a bit of a workout groove and maybe I can join you for yoga or our long overdue pilates. I have THE worse posture. :) You've always looked pretty fit and healthy to me. mA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I laughed when I first saw those post-its in your house. I laughed even louder when I just saw them on the interwebs. :)

    I like the commitment. Go big or go home.
    Or if you prefer "[insert more clever words here]"

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for blessing my blog with your comments mr khan. I am so honored. :) I think I can I think i can....

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first thing I thought when I read this was wow, you have an awesome sense of humor. The second? That you are so hard on yourself! You look gorgeous my friend, even though I don't know you I can say that with confidence. And in any event, I know you are going to achieve your goal no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww thanks :) I'm glad to hear that my sense of humor is really translating.
    Yes, I truly believe I can do this and I really appreciate the vote of confidence. It means a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete